Monday, April 6, 2009

Moving up.

Today was much easier than I thought it would be. Sugar Bean finally moved to the toddler room at daycare. This weekend we had to go pick out a blanket for her to use on her cot at nap time. Because, apparently, she is big enough now to not need a crib. So we picked out a Dora blanket and pillow for her to take. She was so proud of the blanket she was showing everyone as we walked into the center.

Normally when we get there I would sign her into the baby room on the first sheet in the row, but not today. Her name was on the second sheet now. So I signed her in and walked her into the big kid room. Normally she would be handed to a teacher so that someone held her as I walked out. But not today. I stood her at the table of puppets with all the other kids and she immersed herself in inspecting all the animals. She barely noticed I even walked out except to give me a huge happy grin. I had resolved not to hug and kiss on her before I left, because I didn't want to make it harder on both of us. She was so well adjusted I realized she didn't need it anyhow.

She looks so tiny among all the other kids. I was so proud of her. She stood there and got right into the mix. Not a bit intimidated by her new surroundings. She had a look on her face like she had no idea how tiny she looked. She was confident that she is a big girl now and this is where she belongs. I can't believe I didn't burst into tears right then. I was just so proud of my tiny little "big girl". She is amazing.

Sitting here recounting the whole experience I can't keep the tears back completely. I am saddened that she is no longer a baby, but at the same time I am so excited to see what this knew challenge teaches her. She needed the move, it was so apparent that she belonged there. My cup runneth over.

1 comment:

Jamie Antisdel said...

liv,

sounds like things are going very well for you. congratulations on your pregnancy and soon becoming a stay at home mom...it rocks!

jamie antisdel